Subject: Re: 'Clients' stealing our work...
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 14:58:58 -0500

I try to get as much as possible up front.  Especially if it's a simple logo
sequence that isn't going to cost very much.  If I'm putting 8 hours or less
into the project I insist on full payment up front.  I've lost business this
way, but I've never been stiffed!  If I estimate over 8 hours it's 1/3
deposit, 1/3 on anim approval (stills, wireframe, lo res stuff), and 1/3 upon
delivery.

>Another point is that people's respect for your work seems to
>be directly proportional to the ammount of money they pay for your
>services, at least thats the way it is in the music industry.

Absolutely true!  There is a thing called "perceived value".  In modern
society it seems to be in direct proportion to how much you paid for an item!
 If you insist on fair compensation for your quality work I don't think you
can go wrong.

There are techie things you can do to protect yourself too, but getting paid
up front is the best way yet!

Bart Palamaro
Dark Horse Productions